During the month of My McDonald’s restaurants sold more than 12 million Shrek collectible glasses to celebrate the rel
ease of Shrek Forever After 3D. These glasses have been discovered to contain cadmium in the paint on the outside of the glasses and are under recall. Cadmium is known to cause adverse health effects, and the danger of these glasses is in the potential long term exposure of the cadmium leaching from the paint onto a child’s hand and then possible into the body if the child puts the hand to his mouth.
On Friday morning June 4th the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the recall. McDonald’s issued the recall and will provide details for customers who purchased the Shrek collectibles, to enable them to receive a refund and more information about the 16 ounce, $1.99 Shrek collectible glasses and cadmium paint.
According to the CDC instances of cadmium poisoning cause kidney, lung and bone damage, especially in children. This is particularly alarming because the glasses like the movie Shrek are marketed for children. These results are from studies performed on test animals, and show that behavior and learning difficulties are also possibilities in young children due to cadmium exposure.
Anyone who has purchased a Shrek collectible glass from McDonald’s should immediately stop using the glasses, and contact McDonalds at http://www.mcdonalds.com/glasses or the toll free number (800) 244-6227. The information provided will instruct you about refunds and the full disclosure of the recall.
While the recall has been enacted throughout the enormous line of McDonald’s restaurants as of midnight Friday the commercials were still airing on the major television networks. If your children happen to own a Shrek collectible glass, look into the refund recall information and stop using the glass. The four designs available in this recalled collection include Shrek, Princess Fiona, Puss in Boots
McDonald’s representative Bill Whitman said “ We believe the Shrek glassware is safe for consumer use, however, again to ensure that our customers receive safe products from us, we made the decision to stop selling them and voluntarily recall these products effective immediately.”